- Written by Tech Notes
- Category: Joomla
- Published: 12 May 2015
How To Change Favicon On A Joomla Website
This article explains how to change a Joomla website's default favicon, ,which is the small graphical image shown on Internet browser tabs and on left side of a browser's address field, and on things like iPads and tablets. You may be interested in the article of An Animated Favicon is an animated GIF, because it contains a download link for a free software to help you make your own favicon.
This article was tested on Joomla version 3.4.1.
Please note that I do not get paid to write these articles. This article will not get into how to make your favicon, and you will need to have your favicon image file (the .ico file) ready to make use of, and you will need to uploaded the file to your websites's hosting server. You would upload via a FTP software, or a File Manager tool like the one provided by Web Hosting With $1. A tutorial for the File Manager is here at WHW1.
- Login to hosting control panel, and make use of your File Manager tool. In my case, I use #1 hosting control panel, cpanel, provided by WHW1. Or use your preferred FTP software.
- Navigate to your template's folder. If you are making use of the default template provided by Joomla, then this would be the Protostar template, and so you would go to somewhere like /public_html/templates/protostar or /www/templates/protostar.
- Rename the existing favicon.ico file to favicon.ico-ORIGINAL.
- Upload your favicon.ico file or upload your .ico file and rename it to favicon.ico.
- Clear your Internet browser cache. For example, on Firefox, this would be History >> Clear Recent History >> Check ONLY Cache and Offline Website Data.
- Go to your website, and Refresh/Reload the page on the Internet browser, and you should see your logo favicon showing now on the browser.
Feel Free To Leave A Good Comment. :)
Look around, and you may find other useful articles. Add this site to your Bookmarks/Favorites for easy return for new articles. Consider submitting technical articles for publication, including your embedded links. I will even create a new category if needed.